Each year the PGMS scholarship committee awards monetary scholarships to students in horticulture or related fields. Applicants must be at least in their first year of college or may be recently graduated from high school (within the calendar year).
The top recipient will also have the opportunity to attend the GIE+Expo in Louisville in the autumn. PGMS will pay for the scholarship recipients’ conference registration and a travel allowance as well.
As we interact with the professionals of tomorrow in the work place and on campus, this is a great member benefit to promote PGMS and professionalism in our industry.
What are the criteria?
The applicant must be a current student of horticulture or a related field, must be sponsored by a PGMS member and will need to submit a cover letter and resume. The applicant will also need to submit their current college transcript and two letters of reference.
What the scholarship selection committee looks for:
An active student with solid grades and past or current employment in the green industry, involvement in the industry with apprentice or professional organizations, such as FFA, 4H, state or county programs, as well as civic projects and outreach programs. The committee also looks for any personal development classes and any involvement in sports or clubs.
Here’s what past scholarship recipients have said:
Michael Loftus, University of Delaware, Landscape Architecture, “Winning the scholarship has allowed me to participate in collegiate life in ways that were not possible. I participated in a study abroad program in Brazil. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity.”
Vince Muti, Bergen County Community College, Professional Studies Horticulture, “This scholarship has helped me fulfill my requirements for my professional studies degree.” Vince is a full-time Supervisor in one of the nicest parks in Bergen County, NJ.
FAQ’s – Frequently Asked Questions
Q – I don’t know a PGMS member. How do I find one to sponsor me?
A– The scholarship program is focused toward students who have a pre-existing relationship with a PGMS member. For instance, many have worked on the PGMS member’s grounds crew.
Q– How much is awarded each year and how many recipients are there?
A– PGMS awards over $6,000 every year, and that amount increases by 5% annually. The number of recipients is up to the discretion of the judges.
APPLYING FOR THE SCHOLARSHIP
All applicants must submit the following by mail to PGMS:
- The completed scholarship application. Download the application form by clicking here.
- A cover letter. Typed. Please include introduction, educational and professional goals, and intent for use of scholarship funds.
- A current resume. Typed. Please include past employment history, awards, and certificates earned.
- College or school transcripts.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation. These should be from an instructor, employer, etc.
- A letter from the PGMS member who is sponsoring the applicant.
All applications will be judged on completion and presentation of total criteria. Winners will be notified by January 31.
* Scholarships are for those applicants studying landscape and grounds management, turf management, irrigation technology, or a closely related field.