The Professional Grounds Management Society (PGMS) is an individual membership society of grounds professionals advancing the grounds management profession through education and professional development.
The majority of PGMS members are institutional grounds managers who work for organizations such as colleges and universities, municipalities, park and recreation facilities, office parks, apartment complexes, hotels/motels, cemeteries, theme parks, etc. In addition, many independent landscape contractors are also in membership. All have joined together for the purpose of education and economic advancement.
The society defines a grounds manager as a member of a management team responsible for the operation and maintenance of a site or sites. The grounds manager is responsible for the management of staff, money, materials and equipment utilized in maintaining and enhancing a landscaped site including turf, trees, woody ornamentals and flowers, outdoor structure and related facilities. This can include areas such as roads, sidewalks, parking lots maintenance and repair (including snow removal).
The ultimate goals are to assist the individual manager in developing techniques and management skills to assure an outstanding grounds management program for his or her organization, clients or employers and upgrade the level of the profession.
Key membership benefits include: Annual conference and Green Industry Expo, bi-monthly newsletter, membership certificate, certification programs (Certified Grounds Manager and Grounds Technician), free educational manuals, local branch meetings, “Who’s Who in Grounds Management” membership directory, site awards, free industry magazine subscriptions, etc.
The Society believes that there are four (4) essentials to remaining a professional in the industry:
- Being a member of the appropriate membership organization or organizations.
- Attending educational conferences in the field.
- Reading industry publications.
- Becoming certified at the level you wish to operate.
Other Key facts About PGMS:
- It is the only membership organization for institutional grounds managers.
- It is the only membership organization serving the breadth of the service arm of the Green Industry which professionals can join as individuals.
- It is the oldest individual membership organization for grounds professionals.
For membership categories and to sign up as a member please click here.
We offer Green Industry Suppliers the opportunity to meet their marketing needs by becoming a PGMS Partner in Professionalism.